Department [DISTANCE, NON-FORMAL AND CONTINUING EDUCATION] Detail
DISTANCE, NON-FORMAL AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
The demand for education has increased drastically throughout the world. This is on the one hand due to the development of literacy and the greater opportunity for leisure and on the other, the rapid advances in technology. The formal system of education cannot cope with the demand of education for all. In an effort to extend educational opportunities, especially to adults, distance education appears to provide the answer. In view of the importance of distance education, the Department of Distance, Non-formal and Continuing Education was established in the University in 1984.
The department was established in 1984 and was renamed as Distance, Non-Formal and Continuing Education in 2008. It offers specialized degree programmes/ courses in Distance, Non-Formal and Continuing Educaiton, Adult Education and Educational Technology at M.A Education, M.Ed, MS/M.Phil leading to Ph.D and Ph.D (M.Phil based) in Education. It also offers courses at B.A level. Moreover, the department also provides on job training in distance learning system to the academic staff of AIOU.
Main Objectives identified for the department are as following:
1) To conduct need assessment surveys.
2) To guide the writers and to conduct writing techniques workshops to assist the selection of instructional support material.
3) To provide training in script-writing techniques to assist in pilot testing of course material.
4) To provide in-service training/orientation courses.
5) To provide feedback to writers/department on course content and materials during preparation of the course and make them effective for students' learning.
6) To evaluate the required media support for courses.
7) To document and disseminate material on distance and non-formal education.
8) To exchange material and experience with institutions of distance and non-formal education.
9) To provide instructional programs in distance and non-formal education for specialization in this sphere of education.
10) To collaborate with other institutions for improvement in distance education techniques.
Future Plans :
Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Technology;
Postgraduate Diploma in Distance Education;
Postgraduate Diploma in Non-Formal Education;
BS (4-Years) Specialization in Distance, Non-Formal and Continuing Education