Postdoctorate Research Associate, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA
Ph.D (DAAD Sandwich Programme) Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad &Ruhr University,Bochum, Germany
Synthesis of heterocyclic compounds such as benzotriazoles, thiadiazoles, benzimidazoles containing thiourea, amino etc. groups and their metal complexes as potential medicinal importance and their further utilization in the development of useful materials.
One of the main areas of research is enantioselective / diastereoselective synthesis of chiral biologically active organic compounds and study of the correlation between chirality and biological activity. Chiroptical technique used is Circular Dichroism (CD). Such studies are immensely important because frequently the biological activity of one enantiomer is much greater than that of the other, or the other isomer has no activity at all. In the worst case, the other isomer can have distinct, even undesirable biological activity.
These days my research focus is to explore use of organocatalysts for enantioselective synthesis of new chiral compounds of potential pharmacological activity. The future direction is development of novel chiral catalysts and study of their application in stereoselective synthesis.
The main focus of environmental research is related to organic pollutants. The areas of research are as follows:
i. Tertiary level Recycling of Plastic Waste by Organocatalysis
ii. Pesticides’ Pollution on soils and ground water
iii. Odor control
Pakistan is rich in medicinal plants. People especially in villages frequently use these plants for different ailments. My interest is to isolate different constituents and study their biological, antioxidant and optical properties
1. “Adsorption and Desorption Characteristic of Metsulfuron-Methyl in Pakistani Soils” Khuram Shahzad Ahmad, Naghmana Rashid, Muhammad Zakria, J.Chem.Soc.Pak., Vol.37 No.02, 2015
2. “Spectroscopic and Electrochemical Studies on the DNA Binding Studies of Some Asymmetric Compounds” Shaista Sabir, Naghmana Rashid, Maryam Zaheer, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research ISSN 2277-7105, Vol 4, Issue 10, 2297-2311, 2015
3. “Growth and Characterization of Semioconducting nickel sulfide nanocrystals from air-stable single-source metal organic precursors”, Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, Cogent Chemistry, page 1 of 9, 2015.
4. “Comparative Study of Sorption-Desorption Behavior of Benzimidazole Based Pesticides on Selected Soils”, KhurramShahzad Ahmad, Naghmana Rashid, IrumShaheen, Taghazal Zahra Eurasian J Anal Chem 10(1): 19-33,2015.
5. Sorption-Desorption Behavior of Newly synthesized N-(1H-Benzimidazole -2 ylmethyl) Acetamide (ABNZ) on Selected Soils and its Antifungal activity” KhuramShahzad Ahmad, Naghmana Rashid, J.Chem.Soc.Pak., Vol.37, No.04, 2015.
6. “Symmetrical and unsymmetrical nickel(II) complexes of N-(dialkylcarbamothioyl)-nitro substituted benzamide as single-source precursors for deposition of nickel sulfide nanostructured thin films by AACVD” Sohail Saeeda, Khuram Shahzad Ahmeda, Naghmana Rashida, Mohammad Azad Malikb, Paul O’Brienb, , ,Masood Akhtarb, Rizwan Hussainc, Wing-Tak Wongd. Polyhedron Volume 85, 8 January 2015.
7. Phytochemical and antioxidant studies of Berberis lyceum, Shaista Sabir, Kalim Tahir, Naghmana Rashid, Sidra Naz, Bilal Masood,Muhammad Ajmal Shahand Mohammad Sualeh,; Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., Vol.26, No.6, November 2013, pp.1165-1172.
8. Semiconducting nanostructured copper sulfide thin films from bidentate copper(II) complexes of N-(dialkylcarbamothioyl)-nitrosubstitutedbenzamides by chemical vapour deposition”Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, Mohammad Azad Malik,Paul O’Brien, & Wing-Tak Wong,; New J. Chem., 2013,37, 3214-3221.
9. “Nickel(II) complexes of N-(dialkylcarbamothioyl)-4-nitrobenzamide as single-source precursors for the deposition of nanostructured nickel sulfide thin films by chemical vapor deposition” Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, Mohammad Azad Malik,Paul O’Brien, & Wing-Tak Wong, Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2013, 66:16, 2788-2801, DOI: 10.1080/00958972.2013.807921
10. “Aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition of copper sulfide nanostrucrured thin film from newly synthesized single source precursor” Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, K. S. Ahmad; Turkish Journal of Chemistry, vol 37, issue 5, 796, 2013.
11. “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of Lapachol analogues” Shaista Sabir, Sidra Naz, Naghmana Rashid, Bilal Masood; Innovare Journal of Science, Vol 1, Issue 1, 2013, 21-25.
12. “Nanoparticles and nanocrystals of a new bidentate nickel(II) complex of N-[ethyl(propan-2-yl)carbamothioyl]-4-nitrobenzamide: synthesis, characterization, and crystal” Sohail Saeed , Naghmana Rashid, Rizwan Hussain, Jerry P. Jasinski, Amanda C. Keeley &Sajid Khan, Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2013, 66:1, 126-138, DOI: 10.1080/00958972.2012.744834.
13. Application of AACVD for the deposition of Copper Sulfide Nanostructured Thin Film from Synthesized Copper Complex” Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, Rizwan Hussain, Eur. Chem. Bull., 2013, 2(7), 409-413.
14. “Preparation of Cu7S4 Nanostructured thin films from [(Et(Bu)NC(S)NC(O)C6H3(NO2)-3,5]2Cu(II) By Aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition”; Sohail Saeed, Naghmana Rashid, Rizwan Hussain ;Eur. Chem. Bull., 2013, 2(7), 409-413.
15. “Adsorption and Desorption Characteristic of Benzimidazole Based Fungicide Carbendazim in Pakistani Soils”; Khuram S. Ahmad, Naghmana Rashid, Muhammad FaizanNazar and SaadiaTazaiyen; J. Chem. Soc. Pak., Vol. 35, No.3, 2013.
16. “Cis-diastereoselectivity in Pictet-Spengler reactions of L-tryptophan and ECD studies” Naghmana Rashid, SaminaAlam, Mashooda Hasan, Naeema Khan, Khalid M. Khan, Helmut Duddeck, GennaroPescitelli, Agnes Kenez, Sandor Antus and Tibor Kurtan, Chirality.24:789–795 (2012)
17. “Synthesis, crystal structure, DNA binding and in vitro biological studies of Ni(II), Cu(II) and Zn(II) complexes of N-phthaloylglycine”; Nasima Arshad, Naeem Abbas, Moazzam H. Bhatti, Naghmana Rashid, Muhammad Nawaz Tahir, SamreenSaleem, BushraMirza, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology 117, 228–239, (2012).
18. “Electrochemical and spectroscopic investigations of isoniazide and its analogs with ds.DNA at physiological pH: Evaluation of biological activities” Nasima Arshad, UzmaYunus, ShumailaRazzque, Maliha Khan, SamreenSaleem, BushraMirza, NaghmanaRashid; European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 47, Pages 452-461, (2012)