Partially funded by DFID & British Council under Higher Education Link Programme
 
 
Pakistani Food Composition Tables
 
 
 

 
 
Title of the thesis

Role of fiber form in controlling of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in female above 40 years of age

Name of Author

Dr Shahid Mahmood

Address

Opposite A.I.M. Hospital (Civil Hospital) Commissioner Road Sialkot.

Reg #

96-PST-1713

Roll #

F-5504999

Student’s Batch #  
Research Supervisor

Prof.Dr.Perveen Liaqat

Address

Department of Home & Health Sciences, Allama Iqbal Open University Islamabad.

ABSTRACT

The present study was conducted to find out the role of dietary fiber in controlling of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in females above 40 years of age. The study was conducted in Al-Noor Hospital Commissioner Road Sialkot during the month of February 2001 to August 2001.

A total of 25 patients of non-insulin dependent diabetic mellitus, above forty years of ages were selected. The information was recorded on a pre-tested questionnaire by personal interviews and laboratory tests like blood sugar levels. It was a prospective random study. Subjects were divided into two main groups i.e. newly diagnosed patients and known diabetics. Newly diagnosed patients were those who came to the hospital for others reasons but after investigations were found to be hyperglycemic. These subjects were labeled as group I. Known cases were defined as those who came to hospital for the treatment of diabetes and its complications and were labeled as group II. These patients were also using medicines for the control of hyperglycemia. In these patients fibreform sachet (Testa Triticum Tricum) was an ideal because of its high fibre content. This fibreform (Testa Triticum Tricum) was mainly composed of hemicellose, cellulose, lignin and pectin. Weight of each fiberform sachet was 3.5 gram.

The sachet was given to the diabetic female patients from February 2001 to August 2001. Each patient was checked, after one week. Their blood sugar random was tested before and after giving one sachet twice a day.

Among freshly diagnosed patients lowering effect of hyperglycemia was observed in 11 patients, out of 12 patients (91.66%). No effect on lowering of glucose level in remaining one patient, which is 8.33%. In known diabetic who used fiberform in addition to their diet, lowering effect of fibers was seen in 11 patients (84.16%). In this group two patients did not respond to fibers on hyperglycemic control (15.38%).

Total sample of patients was 25, out of 25 patients. 21 patients (84%) showed response to fibers in their diet, who used fibre twice a day for one week. Out of 25 patients only 4 patients (16%) did not show any response to fibers, on control of hyperglycemia.

It was concluded that the diabetic patients who used fibrous diet in addition to the normal diet have better glycemic control.

[Back]

All Rights Reserved 2005, Pak Coordinator, DFID Higher Education Link (Food and Nutrition)