Forestry in Indo-Pak has been practiced for nearly two centuries on more or less on scientific lines. But the resources of Pakistan Forests are limited and the country has to import timber and wood products. Today, there is growing demand for wood due to industrialization, increase in population growth with rising standard for living and better environment.
Therefore, M.Sc Forestry Extension looks into issues of resource degradation, impact of decreasing resources on rural communities, bio-diversity, global climate, and highlights the factors which lead to change, both planned and spontaneous. The role of extension in the management of forest and tree resource is becoming increasingly important. It is being recognized by the foresters and other professionals involved in the forestry and environment sectors. At present not a single institution in the country is offering Forestry Extension program at postgraduate level. Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad is therefore, the pioneer in this regard to offer this program.
The general objectives of this program area as follows:
1). To develop greater understanding of the role of forest and tree in the context of changing environment.
2). To achieve sustainability in agriculture forestry and other rural land uses.
3). To develop approaches which optimize the involvement of communities in extension process for forest and other natural resource management and for their own development.
4). To develop understanding of the existing approaches.
5). To develop linkage with other institutions like forest projects etc.
B.Sc. or M.Sc. Forestry Degree at least 2nd division or B.Sc (Hons) Agriculture or M.Sc (Hons) Agriculture degree with at least 2nd division from National, International recognized Institutions or B.Sc / M.Sc in Botany having 2nd division with 3 years field experience in Forestry.
a) Admission to new students will be given only once a year. b) Application for admission will be invited through national press. c) Applications will be received on prescribed application forms. d) Selection of the candidates in MSc Forestry Extension program will be made strictly on the basis of merit against a limited number of seats. e) Only selected candidates will be informed about their admission. f) The selected students will be required to pay the dues by the prescribed date
Medium of Instruction:
Study Material i.e. Course books and other allied material will be provided by the University
AIOU Credits Required:
1) Rangeland management in Pakistan (2501) Half 2) Tree Management (2502) Half 3) Principle of Rural Sociology –I (2500) Half 4) Principle of Rural Sociology –II (2512) Half 5) Soil Conservation and watershed Management (2511) Half 6) Research Methods (2504) Half 7) Statistics (794) Half 8) Environment and Forestry (2516) Half 9) Agro-Forestry (2510) Half 10) Diffusion of Innovations (2505) Half 11) Forestry Extension Education (2507) Half 12) Approaches of Rural Development (2514) Half 13) Economics of Forestry (2508) Half 14) Participatory Forestry (2503) Half 15) Social and Community Forestry (2509) Half 16) Mass Communication (2506) Half 17) Thesis (798) 02 Credits
· Pakistan Agriculture Research Council
· Pakistan Institute of Forestry and Livestock Management
National Agriculture Research Institute, Islamabad
· Pakistan Forest Institute, Peshawar
· NWFP Agriculture University, Peshawar
· University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
· University of Arid Agriculture, Rawalpindi
Workshop is a compulsory component of the program and provides an opportunity to the students to discuss issues raised in the courses as well as in research. The workshop for a course will be conducted at the end of semester; the duration of the workshop will be 2-3 days for each course depending on the content
MSc degree shall be awarded on submission of dissertation preferably based upon the original work.