Keeping in view the rising demand for Sociology, both by public and private sectors, the department started M.Sc. Sociology programme in 2001. The program combines an emphasis on competence in social theory and research methods. Students are trained in several sub fields of sociology in which the faculty has concentrations of expertise. Among these are population dynamics, social Statistics, Gender Issues, Development issue, Deviance etc. It is this broad perspective that has made sociology a unique and one of the most comprehensive of academic disciplines.
Eligibility to Apply
- At least/Minimum, second division Bachelorís Degree with Sociology.
- Merit is determined on the basis of previous results degrees/ certificates and subject based admission test.
- Result cards will not be accepted (Without P.Cís/ Degrees/ Certificates).
Admission to the M.Sc Sociology is purely merit based.
Determination of Merit
The merit is determined on the basis of following two components:
- Admission test
- Marks obtained in B.A
Assessment is done by giving both the components (B.A Marks and Admission Test) a ratio of 60:40 in calculating final score for selection.
The test based on B.A level Sociology is cmpulsory component.
Candidates are required to send complete admission forms along with attested copies of all educations certificates, marks sheet to the department of Sociology, AIOU, Islamabad.
After closing date, Candidates are informed through registered mail by the department about the date and place of their admission test. After determination of merit the selected candidates are offered admissions by the admission department.
Two years (A minimum of four semesters)
Medium of Instruction:
Medium of instructions is in English
The Methodology is comprised of four components, the tutorial meetings, the workshop, the assignements, and the final exam.
For each course the registered student will be assessed as following:
Assignments: Those written exercises which students are required to complete. For each 3 and 6 credit hours course, you will receive two and four assignment respectively.
The successful completion of assignments will make you eligible to take final examination to be held at the end of the semester.
Final Examination, (a three hours written examination will take place at the end of the semester).
The two components contribute with ratio of 30:70 to the studentís final course grade.
The requirement to qualify is to get a minimum of 40% score in each component.
A 4-6 days of workshop for each course is conducted at Islamabad campus by the department.
AIOU Credits Required:
Old Scheme (10 Full Credits)
New Scheme (60 Credit hours, including a 12 credit hour thesis)
-Introduction to Sociology: Culture and Society
- Sociological Theory-I
- Methods of Social Research: Research Process
- Population Studies
- Sociology of Gender Issues: Theoretical Background
- Introduction to Sociology: Social Change and Social Institutions
- Sociological Theory-II
- Methods of Social Research: Tools of Data Collection
- Social Statistics (New course)
- Sociology of Gender issues: Gender Dynamics
-Sociology of Deviance: Theoretical Explanation
- Deviance, Social Control and issue of Delinquency
- Sociology of Development: Meanings and Explanation
- Issues in Development
- Sociology of Child Rights & Child Development (New course)
- Population Dynamics
- Introduction to Social Works: Methods in Social Work
- Fields of Social Work
- Social Psychology*
- Social Psychology*
All courses are equal to 3 credit hours and the thesis is equal to 12 credit hours
Any collaboration from a research or development organization of public or private sector is welcomed